Re: FOSS equivalents of *OLD* database and spreadsheet tools?

On Mon 27 Jul 2020 at 15:46:08 (-0400), Michael Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 11:39:11AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > >
> > > Only on the internet can someone ask a simple question and get tcl as the
> > > answer. :-/
> >
> > OK, here's a quick program to show how it might be done.
>
> The question wasn't "what's your favorite programming language", was it?
>
> Even then, I'd be hard-pressed to recommend tcl as the thing to learn
> in 2020, but that's beside the point.
>
> > Do you consider this "difficult"?  If so, you are probably approaching
> > this problem as a non-programmer, in which case I don't know what to
> > tell you.  Programming languages exist for a reason, and Tcl is one of
> > the easiest ones for this particular job.
>
> Did you read the original question or use dbase back in the day?

I, for one, read the question a previous time that it was posed:
That reference is somewhere mid-thread, and this time I'll quote
it to save your looking it up:

   "A little research indicates that Tcl/Tk plays well with sqlite.
    A couple of years ago I started learning it for a now abandoned
    project. I'll follow up on that combo. [I looked at some code
    fragments on http://wiki.tcl.tk . They were reminiscent of what
    I did in dBaseII so may be a productive path.]" — Richard Owlett

Cheers,
David.