Re: Jitsi (was Re: Please help me find a good Debian compatible video card).

tomas@tuxteam.de (12020-04-28):
> I never tried, mind you. I've got better things to do with my time than
> wrangling down a Java Monster (TM).
>
> That said, I don't know what your point is (besides whining around a
> bit here): you get the thing as a Debian packaged source. You have
> shown some expertise in this list. Putting those two things together,
> you're in the enviable position to try to run a Debian package build [1]:
> thus you get a wonderful basis to start off.
>
> What's missing?

What's missing is control, and the trust that comes with it.

Even assuming that the packaging rules succeed, which is a pretty bold
assumption.

Even assuming that the packaging rules succeed without re-installing in
~/.something half the libraries in the world because these rules are
actually a thin veneer of Debian packaging on top of a completely alien
package system, because nowadays every stupid language feel the need to
have its own package system and its own build system.

Then running a build script as a black box, being forced to run it in
exactly the build environment it was designed for, is only marginally
better than installing binary blobs.

Libre Software means that the source code is available, but the source
code is not just the code files. Distributing the source tree but
keeping the know-how to be able to do something with it, that is not
Libre Software.

If it is done on purpose, to be able to claim opensourceness and the PR
benefits that come with it, without having the drawback of giving away
usable code for free, it is entirely dishonest.

If it is done because of incompetence, because the developers are
actually unable to develop most of the things in their project and just
produce monstrous frankenware, it is less dishonest, but the end result
is the same.

We cannot prevent these projects from existing, but at least we have to
realise they are not part of the solution, they are part of the problem.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George