Re: mplayer can't play big file by mencoder

Thank Nicolas George for expert advice!

but i don't have energy to learn new tools
and mencoder work fine most of time
4G limit can be avoided by
using several files (instead of single file) to record

i use avi because mplayer's manual use it as example

my policy is use less energy to get more work done

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 11:25:11 PM GMT+8, Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:

Nemeth Gyorgy (12020-04-28):
> The problem is not mplayer nor mencoder but the vfat. Though the vfat
> can store max 4GB file but the seek parameter on vfat is a signed
> integer instead of an unsigned so the seek is not possible on larger
> than 2GB files.

You are clearly confusing several issues. Seeking is not something that
resides in the filesystem, it is something that is done with it: there
have been limits on seeking, but they were not connected to the
filesystem, they were connected to the libc and the way the program was
compiled. These limits are still there on 32 bits systems if one is not
careful.

The AVI format, or more precisely the RIFF meta-format, has a limit at
4 Go, but it is possible that some standard Windows libraries have a
lower limit at 2 Go. There is an extension, ODML, to go beyond.

VFAT also has a limit on the size of the files, 4 Go, again possibly
with Windows enforcing a smaller size on the files it creates.

The size of the file causing the issue is exactly 0xFFFFFFFF, which
means it is obviously a problem caused by the size limit on VFAT. I
would not put it past mencoder to ignore write errors on the output

file.

But mplayer should not segfault on an input file, however malformed. The
AVI demuxer in mplayer is bogus, for other aspects too. I strongly
suggest not to use it, and use the libavformat demuxer instead: -demuxer
lavf, which can be automated by putting "demuxer=lavf" under
"[extension.avi]" in .mplayer/config.

While we are at it, for the last ~10 years, recommendations should say:

Do not use mencoder, unless you are specifically ripping an DVD (and
even in that case, try to nut use mencoder much): use ffmpeg instead.

Do not use the AVI format, unless it is the only format supported by
your target. If in doubt, use Matroska.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George