Re: Debian is testing Discourse

On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 21:33:37 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon 20 Apr 2020 at 13:13:50 (-0400), Celejar wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Apr 2020 10:19:13 +0300
> > Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > about Debian on non-Debian platforms (like StackExchange), the other one
> > > being the Arch's wiki (significantly better than Debian's).
> >
> > Everyone loves the Arch wiki - I've long wondered why it's so much
> > better than ours. Do they just have more community-minded users?
>
> It looks better curated, organised and structured. The latter is hardly
> surprising when you read Debian's FAQ¹:
>
>   Q) Wouldn't the wiki be more useful if it was better organized?
>   A) Possibly, but a structured wiki is largely a contradiction in terms.
>   It's more important to give it good content.

In my experience, the content of the Arch wiki is ofter far superior to
ours, not just the organization and structure.

> So they have different philosophies. Perhaps Debian puts more effort
> into the packages themselves, the installer, and documentation like
> the Reference Manual, Release Notes etc, whereas AIUI Arch relies
> more on its wiki. And I think Debian has a much broader scope:

But the Debian documentation you mention doesn't cover a great deal
of practical, real-world areas of system configuration, maintenance,
and use, at least not in any useful, up-to-date way. The Arch wiki, in
my experience, simply does a much better job at documenting this sort of
stuff than any Debian documentation.

Celejar