Re: Debian is testing Discourse

On Du, 12 apr 20, 16:23:52, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 07:57:22AM -0600, Keith Christian wrote:
> > Is there a general "war on mailing lists" going on?
>
> I'd say there always has been a "war on mail". Starting with Outlook
> which brought upon us the plague of top-quoting (hey, you top-quoted,
> too :-)
>
> On a more serious note: I'd not call it a war. It's a mix. On the one
> hand there is a more browser-centric culture, which doesn't understand
> what an asset it is to have diverse end-user agents -- and would like
> to get rid of the friction that (naturally!) entails.

I don't believe the browser-centric culture cares about that at all[1],
they are just much more familiar with other interfaces (point-and-click,
tap/swipe).

> On the other hand there are the silos, which like to have more end
> user control, which you can't have as much if everyone gets to
> see their content the way they like.

I seriously doubt developers care about that. As far as I can tell most
of them are trying to provide just enough[2] customization options
without overwhelming less technical users.

As far as I can tell for Debian the main drivers are:

1. The hope that software like Discourse can improve the quality of
discussion as well as signal-to-noise ration, e.g. by providing an
alternative to "+1" messages.

2. Providing communication options that are preferred by the younger
generation, and that's just the natural course of life.

[1] except maybe developers who get to fight with different
implementations of standards
[2] what "just enough" means depends, of course, on the user community.

Kind regards,
Andrei