Re: Buster System hangs, requires hard reboot

On Monday 20 April 2020 21:44:10 Ralph Katz wrote:

> Hi -- Please help me diagnose and fix this problem.
>
> My five month old Dell laptop with updated firmware and new up-to-date
> Buster completely hangs and requires a hard reboot after 7-40 days
> uptime.  While reading something onscreen or away from the laptop, the
> system hangs completely: screen freezes, keyboard is unresponsive, lid
> close fails to sleep, can't ssh in, pings fail.  Hard reboot is
> required.
>
> Actions taken:
>
> - re-installed Buster twice over several months
> - ran fsck.ext4 -y /dev/sda2  when fsck failed on boot
> - ran bad blocks
> - run smartmontools long test weekly; no errors reported in logs.
>
> Sometimes there are errors in syslog like this before a crash:
> > Apr  2 06:04:18 spike3 kernel: [539637.882916] EXT4-fs error (device
> > sda2): ext4_lookup:1590: inode #55838123: comm updatedb.mlocat:
> > iget: checksum invalid
>
> Today there were no syslog errors for weeks before the system hung.
>
> After rebooting, errors like these appeared:
> > Apr 20 16:05:57 spike3 kernel: [  887.007328] EXT4-fs error (device
> > sda2): ext4_lookup:1590: inode #55842004: comm GMPThread: iget:
> > checksum invalid Apr 20 16:08:53 spike3 kernel: [ 1062.821504]
> > EXT4-fs error (device sda2): ext4_lookup:1590: inode #55842002: comm
> > DOM Worker: iget: checksum invalid
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Ralph

How old, and what color are your sata cables?  There is something in the
dye used for "hot red" cables that converts the copper of the conductors
into a brown rust like powder which of coarse is a very poor conductor.
Reboot, put a tail on the syslog, and touch the cable so it is moved a
bit. If it blows up the syslog with more such messages, replace the
cable, but replace it with any color but red..

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis