Re: Debian is testing Discourse

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 07:57:22AM -0600, Keith Christian wrote:
> Is there a general "war on mailing lists" going on?

I'd say there always has been a "war on mail". Starting with Outlook
which brought upon us the plague of top-quoting (hey, you top-quoted,
too :-)

On a more serious note: I'd not call it a war. It's a mix. On the one
hand there is a more browser-centric culture, which doesn't understand
what an asset it is to have diverse end-user agents -- and would like
to get rid of the friction that (naturally!) entails.

On the other hand there are the silos, which like to have more end
user control, which you can't have as much if everyone gets to
see their content the way they like.

It's more complicated (and no, I don't believe people promoting
Discourse are just an evil cabal; I'd guess Neil McGovern is a
fine guy -- he's just wrong... from my POV, which might be wrong
as well).

Cheers
-- t