Re: New RAM, does Debian has a tool to benchmark?

Thank you to both of you for your answers. I am grateful for your time.

My PC is a desktop PC, see hardware details at the end of this email.

Here is more info, answering your questions:

* I purchased a single 8 GB module and currently the PC has a 4 GB
  module. My original plan was to buy two identical 8 GB modules but I
  decided to buy an 8 GB module now and the second later. I am aware
  that since the two modules (8+4) are not identical there is a
  possibility that they would not perform at their maximum speed.
  However I believe that 8+4 is better than 4 or 8 GB, am I right on
  this?
* The 8 GB module that I purchased is this:
  <https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr3/ct102464bd160b/ct8815800>
* The computer is used for basic office tasks and the usual internet
  browsing (sometimes with many firefox tabs open). I am not using any
  particularly heavy programs like scientific computing, video rendering
  etc. However I am experimenting sometimes with virtual machines
  (usually with qemu-kvm). Not something professional, just as a hobby
  (I am trying to teach my self things by performing tasks that I
  wouldn't normally try on my main system).
* With the 4 GB RAM that I now have available, I have noticed my PC
  becoming slow and the memory usage going quite high. After booting,
  with just Gnome running, I see conky reporting that memory usage goes
  to something like 800 MB. Firefox adds ~800MB more and Thunderbird
  adds up to a total of more than 2 or maybe 2,5 GB! After launching
  Transmission (bit torrent client) I see that I have to restart Firefox
  quite often in order for the PC to be usable (especially after
  browsing a little and having many tabs open or even after some tabs
  have been closed). I have noticed that things got worst after
  upgrading to Stable (I was on oldstable until recently).
* I haven't been checking on swap usage a lot so I don't know how is
  that used.
* I have two HDD hard drives installed in the system.
* Up to now I have only been using Memtest86+ to check the memory's
  integrity but I didn't know that it can be used to see other
  performance metrics. I will check that now.
* I will also the dbench (which I haven't heard of before) as well as
  use the apt-cache command you suggested. If the information I give in
  this message helps you to suggest something specific please do, as
  hardware in general and especially benchmarks is not something I am
  particularly familiar with.

David Christensen wrote:
> [...]
> Tripling your memory for $40
> should be a worthwhile upgrade.  You should notice it when you run a
> graphical desktop and open a lot of applications/ tabs.

That sounds encouraging and that is exactly what I am after but I
thought I could ask here for benchmark software suggestion to see if I
can get something measurable. (and hopefully learns something on the way).

Thanks again,
Dalios

-------------------------------------

Motherboard
    Manufacturer: Pegatron
    Form factor: uATX - 19.3x18.0 cm (7.6x7.1 in)
    Chipset: Intel H81
    Memory sockets: 2 x DDR3
    Processor socket: LGA 1150

Processor