Re: New RAM, does Debian has a tool to benchmark?

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 09:26:44AM +0300, dalios wrote:
> * The computer is used for basic office tasks and the usual internet
>   browsing (sometimes with many firefox tabs open). I am not using any
>   particularly heavy programs like scientific computing, video rendering
>   etc. However I am experimenting sometimes with virtual machines
>   (usually with qemu-kvm). Not something professional, just as a hobby
>   (I am trying to teach my self things by performing tasks that I
>   wouldn't normally try on my main system).
> * With the 4 GB RAM that I now have available, I have noticed my PC
>   becoming slow and the memory usage going quite high. After booting,
>   with just Gnome running, I see conky reporting that memory usage goes
>   to something like 800 MB. Firefox adds ~800MB more and Thunderbird
>   adds up to a total of more than 2 or maybe 2,5 GB! After launching
>   Transmission (bit torrent client) I see that I have to restart Firefox
>   quite often in order for the PC to be usable (especially after
>   browsing a little and having many tabs open or even after some tabs
>   have been closed). I have noticed that things got worst after
>   upgrading to Stable (I was on oldstable until recently).
> * I haven't been checking on swap usage a lot so I don't know how is
>   that used.

Given the above, the odds are that a benchmark will not provide you any
meaningful absolute metrics.  That said, tripling your memory will
almost certainly result in your computer rarely touching swap.  That
alone, will make a huge difference in your day-to-day computing
experience.  Additionally, the benchmark may still be a fun "gee whiz"
sort of thing to do.  It can be nice to get some idea of how your
machine performs in a quantitative sense.  It will certainly let you
establish a baseline against which you can compare future upgrades or
future replacement systems.

Regards,

-Roberto
--