Re: New RAM, does Debian has a tool to benchmark?

On 2020-04-09 23:26, dalios wrote:
Thank you to both of you for your answers. I am grateful for your time.

My PC is a desktop PC, see hardware details at the end of this email.

Here is more info, answering your questions:

* I purchased a single 8 GB module and currently the PC has a 4 GB
module.

Get an anti-static wrist strap and practice static-safe techniques whenever handling memory modules, motherboards, etc..

Also, never touch electrical contacts -- the acid in your skin oil will corrode them.

Manufacturer and part number of the 4 GB module?

My original plan was to buy two identical 8 GB modules but I
   decided to buy an 8 GB module now and the second later. I am aware
   that since the two modules (8+4) are not identical there is a
   possibility that they would not perform at their maximum speed.
   However I believe that 8+4 is better than 4 or 8 GB, am I right on
   this?
* The 8 GB module that I purchased is this:
   <https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr3/ct102464bd160b/ct8815800>

Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1600 UDIMM
CT102464BD160B

How did you select this particular part?

* The computer is used for basic office tasks and the usual internet
   browsing (sometimes with many firefox tabs open). I am not using any
   particularly heavy programs like scientific computing, video rendering
   etc. However I am experimenting sometimes with virtual machines
   (usually with qemu-kvm). Not something professional, just as a hobby
   (I am trying to teach my self things by performing tasks that I
   wouldn't normally try on my main system).
* With the 4 GB RAM that I now have available, I have noticed my PC
   becoming slow and the memory usage going quite high. After booting,
   with just Gnome running, I see conky reporting that memory usage goes
   to something like 800 MB. Firefox adds ~800MB more and Thunderbird
   adds up to a total of more than 2 or maybe 2,5 GB! After launching
   Transmission (bit torrent client) I see that I have to restart Firefox
   quite often in order for the PC to be usable (especially after
   browsing a little and having many tabs open or even after some tabs
   have been closed). I have noticed that things got worst after
   upgrading to Stable (I was on oldstable until recently).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirth%27s_law

My laptop is maxed out at 2 GB. If I open more than a few browser windows with heavy JavaScript, the computer slows to a snail's pace.

* I haven't been checking on swap usage a lot so I don't know how is
   that used.

top(1) displays swap statistics.

I use Xfce. The System Load Monitor panel plug-in provides a real-time bargraph display.

* I have two HDD hard drives installed in the system.

Manufacturers and part numbers?

* Up to now I have only been using Memtest86+ to check the memory's
   integrity but I didn't know that it can be used to see other
   performance metrics. I will check that now.
* I will also the dbench (which I haven't heard of before) as well as
   use the apt-cache command you suggested. If the information I give in
   this message helps you to suggest something specific please do, as
   hardware in general and especially benchmarks is not something I am
   particularly familiar with.

Save dbench and the others for later.

David Christensen wrote:
[...]
Tripling your memory for $40
should be a worthwhile upgrade.  You should notice it when you run a
graphical desktop and open a lot of applications/ tabs.

That sounds encouraging and that is exactly what I am after but I
thought I could ask here for benchmark software suggestion to see if I
can get something measurable. (and hopefully learns something on the way).

Thanks again,
Dalios

-------------------------------------

Motherboard
     Manufacturer: Pegatron
     Form factor: uATX - 19.3x18.0 cm (7.6x7.1 in)
     Chipset: Intel H81
     Memory sockets: 2 x DDR3
     Processor socket: LGA 1150

Pegatron appears to be an OEM manufacturer. I cannot find specifications given the above information. What is the part number on the motherboard? Was the computer assembled from parts, or bought as a system? If the latter, what is the make and model number on the system case?

Processor
Intel Core i3-4170
     CPU speed: 3.7 GHz
     CPU cores: 2
     CPU Cache: 3 MB
     TDP: 54 W
     Socket: LGA 1150

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/77490/intel-core-i3-4170-processor-3m-cache-3-70-ghz.html

That processor should be more than adequate for Debian graphical desktop use.

Comparing the processor Memory Specifications against the Crucial 8 GB Product Specifications, that memory module is probably okay. But, the motherboard specifications would be more authoritative.

That processor supports VT-x and VT-x with EPT, but not VT-d. It should be adequate for virtual machines that are not I/O heavy.

Memory
     Amount: 4 GB
     Speed: PC3-12800 MB/s
     Type: DDR3-1600

Video Graphics
Intel HD Integrated Graphics

Intel® HD Graphics 4400

That should be adequate for desktop use.

Because memory is shared between the processor and graphics, higher graphics resolutions and/or refresh rates will show down the processor.

Hard Drive
     Size: 1 TB
     Interface: SATA
     Rotational Speed: 7200 rpm