Re: New RAM, does Debian has a tool to benchmark?

On 2020-04-09 11:26, dalios wrote:
Hi list!

I just purchased new RAM for my Debian Stable running PC to upgrade its
performance. I currently have 4GB and the new one is 8GB so I will have
12GB total.

My question is this: is there a tool in the repositories which I can use
to measure the system's performance with 4GB and then with 12GB of RAM
in order to see if it was a worthy choice?

Thanks in advance,
Dalios

As Roberto pointed out, hardware configuration is critical for memory performance. If you would care to post your computer or motherboard make/ model, your memory module quantities/ makes/ part numbers, and your installation configuration (which modules are installed in which slots), people on this list can double-check.

I have been using Memtest86+, and it's predecessor Memtest86, for many years. In addition to testing memory, Memtest86+ also displays fundamental memory information and metrics. Once you know your modules are configured correctly, I suggest that run Memtest86+ for 24 hours to confirm everything is working correctly:

http://www.memtest.org/

I have also been using using dbench for many years, primarily to test disks and arrays. It might measure some difference between 4 GB vs. 12 GB of memory, but I would expect disk I/O to dominate:

https://dbench.samba.org/

There are other benchmarking tools available as Debian packages:

2020-04-09 13:02:34 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ apt-cache search benchmark

Beyond that, and also as Roberto pointed out, your workload will determine what benchmarks have the most meaning. But in general, adding memory increases overall performance. Tripling your memory for $40 should be a worthwhile upgrade. You should notice it when you run a graphical desktop and open a lot of applications/ tabs.

David