Re: New RAM, does Debian has a tool to benchmark?

On 10.04.20 08:26, dalios wrote:
(...)
     CPU Cache: 3 MB
(...)
Working with much older hardware than you and using Debian as a Desktop with GUI (KDE) and not as a Server, I found the CPU Cache to be the most important piece of hardware letting you "feel" your desktop "responding" slow or fast. Nowadays I claim that 1 MB of cache is insufficient for experiencing a satisfying "responsiveness" when interactively working with the desktop. I do have a system with 2 MB cache and it is "usable", although not "comfortable". My 3 MB cache system is fine and I am working with it as my main system for my daily work, using heavily Firefox with usually some 5 to 15 tabs open AND additionally having a second Firefox with a different Firefox profile open for there running web apps of Microsoft Office 365 in usually 3 tabs. In parallel I always have open Thunderbird, RIOT (the matrix.org messenger client), Cherrytree, Kate, and some times also LibreOffice Writer or even ImageJ for some scientific image processing. This system has (only) the following hardware specifications and runs all this:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo P7450 2.13 GHz
Cache: 3 MB
RAM: 4 GB

Note that my 1 MB, 2 MB and 3 MB CPU Cache systems all have an almost identical CPU of type Core2Duo and CPU speed, and I also have another 2 MB CPU cache system with a slower CPU speed. I clearly "feel" strongly the different amount of cache at my hands, but I do not feel the CPU frequency differences!

The last hardware upgrade was to recently extend it to now have 2x 4 GB RAM, but this was more because of having received the RAM free of cost than having felt a need to search for it. Instead, what really becomes an every day annoyance is a missing USB3 port, with the desire to have USB3 Gen2 available for the necessary (highly recommended) everyday data backup to some external storage media.

What I am about to say: with your hardware I would not worry too much about benchmarking the RAM. Simply add as much RAM as you can, following other people recommendations on how to best combine them (which RAM mounted to which slot of your motherboard), but then instead of loosing time with benchmarking better spend time on fine tuning some parameters which are needed to adjust in order to let Debian run with nice "responsiveness" as a desktop on not so fast hardware. Keep in mind, that not used RAM is a waste of resources. If your system is constantly using as much RAM as possible, but of course without ever to start to swap data to slow bulk storage media, then it best uses your hardware for you. Linux is intelligent towards this goal. It uses free RAM and there caches data which you might need again, in order to then be able to deliver you this data quickest. If your activity, some application, needs the RAM, then immediately some cached data is thrown away (cached data is considered to be able to become loaded in newly, if needed) and the freed RAM is immediately available for your activity. So, the cache will not impact your application's needs. Cache is used when possible and not used when there is no vacancy for it. Now, this explains why you will always see high RAM usage on your system. Whatever is unused by the user activity will be used for a performance increase and for this will be filled by the cache system. If you have 4 GB mounted to your hardware, then it will be used almost completely, and if you now mount 8 GB (or 12 GB) to it, then you will (and want to) see that the 8 GB (or 12 GB) are used almost completely. Nice!

I always consider Debian to be the Linux distribution which out-of-the-box comes well tuned for server applications, while not being preconfigured nicely for desktop usage. The configurations which in this regard I am mainly having in mind are the ones which adjust how the Linux cache system should work, how the RAM which is not used by your applications is meanwhile used. Afterwards it might also be worth to consider the many logs and statistics which by the Debian default configuration become generated, and how I/O to the bulk storage media is used, but for the moment I won't have a look at that. For now, maybe simply consider to adjust the following parameters for the cache system and see if your system comforts you better:

create a file /etc/sysctl.d/99-SettingsByMyself.conf with the following content, which will adjust the 2 main parameters "vm.swappiness" and "vm.vfs_cache_pressure" influencing the cache system towards the needs of running a Desktop with GUI on not so fast hardware:

# responsiveness of system preferred over data treatment speed:
# decrease from default=60 towards 0
# or
# data treatment speed preferred over responsiveness of system:
# increase from default=60 towards 100
#
# 0 = disable any swap activity
# 1 = minimum swap activity, helps to avoid running out of RAM
vm.swappiness = 1

# lower value in order to prefer inode/dentry cache to stay in cache
# for finding files faster; (default=100) (could be > 100)
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=25

Good Luck! Marco.