Re: Ethernet trouble

On Sat, Feb 01, 2020 at 12:28:51AM +0300, Reco wrote:
	Hi.

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 03:57:44PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
FWIW, I would never force something to use "eth0" because it makes it
impossible to see at first glance that all of the default behavior has
been overridden.

If you see a network interface called eth0 in a "modern" Debian it can
mean three things only:

1) Said default behaviour is overridden already.
2) You're using that rare ARM SOC to which x86-centric udev rules just
do not apply, and yes, that particular NIC is not USB-attached.
3) You're in a container, there's no udev here.

Actually, eth0 is the default for most VMs. But the point is that "predictable names turned off" would be the likely suspicion, and "someone forced a particular interface to be named eth0 based on its mac address" would be much more unexpected.

I suspect it would also break horribly if you add another NIC that
initializes before the one you're trying to rename to eth0.

... Unless you do it the right way by using NamePolicy=kernel. Why
bother with renaming eth0 to eth0 if you can avoid renaming at all?

Because that's what someone wanted to do. I'm just saying I wouldn't do it.