Re: Ethernet trouble

On 1/30/20 1:58 PM, ghe wrote:
On 1/29/20 7:06 PM, David Wright wrote:

These boards, do their PCI addresses have the save bus number but
different slot/device numbers? dmesg or kern.log will give you
those: they look like NN:DD.F optionally preceded by DDDD:, where
DDDD is the domain (typically 0000), NN is the bus, DD the device
of slot, F the function(s) provided by that card, eg
pci 0000:00:0e.0: [10ec:8139] type 00 class 0x020000
Well, I don't in any way consider myself a hardware guy, but in Java,
Pascal, C, PERL, Python, FORTRAN, BashScripts, etc, '+' usually does the
same thing every time I type it.

I looked at dmesg a bit. I greped it for 'enp' and there was a funny
joke in the first 2 lines (of the grep output):

[    2.181317] e1000e 0000:08:00.0 enp8s0: renamed from eth1
[    2.422105] e1000e 0000:07:00.0 enp7s0: renamed from eth0

So something took the rational Ethernet interface names and,
intentionally I assume, broke hundreds of lines of code.

That's why I recommended you look into systemd link files. Systemd has the undesired effect of renaming interfaces.  You need to use the MAC address to indicate which port should be eth0 , etc.  See my previous post.

...Bob