Re: Ethernet trouble

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 02:31:56PM -0700, ghe wrote:
> So in my current config, eth0 gets changed to enp7s0, ifup is called to
> bring up enp7s0, ifup fails because enp7s0 doesn't exist in the
> interfaces file, then enp7s0 gets changed back to eth0. As a programmer,
> I'm quite used to flaws in software, but lordie...

Using any software (and udev in particular) in a wrong way will give you
wrong results. As a programmer, you should be familiar with it :)

Try this link file:

[Match]
Driver=e1000e
[Link]
MACAddressPolicy=none
NamePolicy=kernel

Long story short, NIC double renaming is wrong, and matching a NIC by
its MAC alone is wrong too.

> And systemd is calling ifup? Which relies on the old interfaces file,
> and systemd relies on additional interface config file(s)?

The software merely does what it's told to do.

Reco