Re: Ethernet trouble

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 03:29:44PM -0500, Bob Weber wrote:
On 1/31/20 1:41 PM, Michael Stone wrote:
   You went through more effort than you needed to. You can turn off
   predictable names by simply booting with net.ifnames=0 on the kernel
   command line (you can make that permanent by editing GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= in
   /etc/default/grub and running update-grub).

The net.ifnames=0 used to work on my 2 port machine but quit about a year ago.
Messed up my firewall rules.  Not very nice to have the internet side connected
to LAN port!   That's when I went through the pain of understanding the systemd
way!

Yup, there's definitely a problem that needed to be solved. But when people keep asking for things to go back to the way they used to be because the new way is overly complicated, that's how to do it quickly and simply.

There's also no need to disable 99-default.link if you add a new .link with new rules that override the defaults.

FWIW, I would never force something to use "eth0" because it makes it impossible to see at first glance that all of the default behavior has been overridden. I suspect it would also break horribly if you add another NIC that initializes before the one you're trying to rename to eth0. Instead I'd give it a name like "internal0" or somesuch, so it's clear that there's manual naming, and as a bonus it's a name that includes a description of its intended use.