Re: Ethernet trouble

On 1/30/20 1:42 PM, Bob Weber wrote:

> That's why I recommended you look into systemd link files.

I looked that up on the 'Net, and it seems pretty reasonable. I looked
around a bit and was told to edit

/usr/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link

(MAC addresses are back to hardware again, but easier to handle -- at
least they're the same whenever you look at them. And Debian puts config
files in /etc. Used to, anyway)

There's a line in 99-default.link about <something>=persistent. The web
says that if I change that to 'none' I'll get the old names back.

I did, and I didn't.

> Systemd has
> the undesired effect of renaming interfaces.  You need to use the MAC
> address to indicate which port should be eth0 , etc.

It looks like it'll take a lot more than changing a value in a config
file to have happen what I expect. I think I'll just leave things alone
for the time being. Now I know to expect systemd to break things, and
now I know to write around it. I was completely at a loss when those
numbers just changed for no apparent reason.

Counting Ethernet interfaces isn't rocket science.

Again, thanks list.

--
Glenn English