Re: Ethernet trouble

> On Jan 30, 2020, at 04:48 PM, Bob Weber <bobrweber@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Example 3. Debugging NamePolicy= assignments" near the bottom of the page at
> "https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.link.html";

Yeah. That's one I looked at. The one with the table of the Ethernet speeds and duplexity. And the list and descriptions of data that're sometimes needed in the file.

I'll look at this again tomorrow, Bob, but I'm really not impressed with the way systemd is setting up the Ethernet interfaces. Like I said before, "Counting Ethernet interfaces isn't rocket science." But it can be made so if you make things complex and spread the config over several dirs and several files, some of which are explained in the dox but turn out not to exist on my Buster disk.

Somehow, back in the eth days, the data in Debian's /etc/network/interfaces file was enough to get networking going. Then, on an Ethernet network, the Ethernet chips pretty well figured out the best speed and duplex all by themselves as soon as they connected to something.

> This nameing configuration has worked on 5 Debian systems all running updated testing.

And counting interfaces has worked for me for a couple decades, on many systems and several OSs. But I'll find your earlier email and try systemd one more time. It'd be nice for the interface names to be, as systemd calls it, 'consistent.'

And, FWIF, I appreciate your help and advice...

--
Glenn English