Re: Ethernet trouble

	Hi.

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 03:57:44PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> FWIW, I would never force something to use "eth0" because it makes it
> impossible to see at first glance that all of the default behavior has
> been overridden.

If you see a network interface called eth0 in a "modern" Debian it can
mean three things only:

1) Said default behaviour is overridden already.
2) You're using that rare ARM SOC to which x86-centric udev rules just
do not apply, and yes, that particular NIC is not USB-attached.
3) You're in a container, there's no udev here.

> I suspect it would also break horribly if you add another NIC that
> initializes before the one you're trying to rename to eth0.

... Unless you do it the right way by using NamePolicy=kernel. Why
bother with renaming eth0 to eth0 if you can avoid renaming at all?

But the real fun with binding an interface name to a MAC starts once one
discovers 802.1q and tries to use it :)

Reco