Re: Emacs and loss of highlighting: problem semi-solved (Buster MATE)

On Mi, 29 ian 20, 08:41:41, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 08:48:56AM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> > It seems to me you are conflating dpkg conffiles[1] with files in /etc.
> >
> > [1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-conffiles.html
>
> Yep, but this [2] /strongly/ suggests that conffiles are exactly those
> living under /etc.

It's a default in the most common packaging tool that saves work for
many maintainers (they don't need to explicitly mark files under /etc as
conffiles).

To me it's quite clear that conffiles are typically in /etc (the text
explicitly allows for other possibilities), but not every
(configuration) file in /etc is a conffile.

> Cheers
> [2] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/dother.en.html#conffiles

The 3rd paragraph explicitly recommends *not* marking files as conffiles
if they must be changed through other mechanisms (I believe cups does
this, but am too lazy to check).

It then goes on about how to deal with having a configuration file (not
conffile) in /etc that is not managed by dpkg.

Kind regards,
Andrei