Re: Emacs and loss of highlighting: problem semi-solved (Buster MATE)

On 2020-01-27, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon 27 Jan 2020 at 14:34:14 (-0000), Curt wrote:
>> On 2020-01-27, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
>> >
>> > At this point, I think you need to find any file on your system that has
>> > the Emacs X resources that xrdb showed and comment them out.
>> >

>> As perhaps an unhelpful and not necessarily related data point, there
>> exists a bug report concerning Xresources and Emacs 24.4, the insect
>> consisting of the former remaining unread or "unrespected" (which may
>> not be a word) in the Mate desktop environment when using the latter.
>>
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=770781
>>
>> https://superuser.com/questions/1351751/xresources-not-loaded-under-mate-desktop
>>
>> (Set the active attribute to false under
>> 'org.mate.SettingsDaemon.plugins.xrdb' with dconf-editor?)
>
> It's not clear to me whether "my Xresources" means the dotfile in
> $HOME, or something else. In the case of the former, the OP wrote
> that they had no ~/.Xresources, so not reading it wouldn't matter.

I missed that point, yet I'm still left to wonder whether the mate
settings daemon xrdb plugins referenced above (if it is indeed running
on the OP's machine as part of the Mate kitchen sink) might be
responsible for the rather copious Emacs 'xdrb -query' output he offered
up for inspection.

Looking at this

https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-settings-daemon/blob/master/plugins/xrdb/data/Emacs.ad

there does appear to be similarities. Maybe I'm not understanding the
whole thing correctly.

--
"J'ai pour me guérir du jugement des autres toute la distance qui me sépare de
moi." Antonin Artaud