Re: Emacs and loss of highlighting: problem semi-solved (Buster MATE)

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 07:54:47PM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2020 27 Jan 16:12 -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
>
> > Gang, I've tried various combinations of:
> >
> > 1. removing/installing the /etc/xrdb/*.ad files
>
> I see that the mate-settings-daemon package has the /etc/xrdb/Emacs.ad
> file.

Yep, that was my impression too: that some desktop environment is
messing up the X resources (not the files, the database in the
server) in some creative way.

>  As that package apparently is required for the Mate desktop, it's
> likely that to resolve this that you'll need to comment the lines in
> that file as root and note that package upgrades may overwrite your
> commented file with the one supplied with the package.

This would be a Debian policy violation. /etc is taboo, sysadmin
overrides (you get asked at upgrade, though, so some vigilance is
in order).

Ah-hah. Some search-engining later: see this

  https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/issue-with-xresources-and-ubuntu-mate/3756

This guy is having the same problem (the solution is inconclusive,
though -- he disabled some "mate X resources plugin" without any
success).

Things like this, BTW, are what at last, drove me away from desktop
environments: they are fiendishly complex, full of quick fire-and
forget contribs "oh, this seems a good idea", and when you have
a serious question... crickets.

Note that I'm not blaming anyone. I'm of the impression that there
aren't enough resources to manage that complexity (and I don't mean
technical, but more the social, i.e. the width of the user base).

Hapy fvwm camper since.

Cheers
-- tomás