Re: Emacs and loss of highlighting: problem semi-solved (Buster MATE)

* On 2020 27 Jan 16:12 -0600, Tom Browder wrote:

> Gang, I've tried various combinations of:
>
> 1. removing/installing the /etc/xrdb/*.ad files

I see that the mate-settings-daemon package has the /etc/xrdb/Emacs.ad
file.  As that package apparently is required for the Mate desktop, it's
likely that to resolve this that you'll need to comment the lines in
that file as root and note that package upgrades may overwrite your
commented file with the one supplied with the package.  After commenting
those lines, you need to completely restart X11 or use an xrdb command
that I'm not familiar with to flush the xrdb database and clear the
Emacs* namespace.  I'd probably just do a complete system restart.

As I am using Gnome, the /etc/xrdb directory doesn't even exist on my
systems and I don't recall seeing it with Xfce either.  There are four
packages that contain a file named Emacs.ad:

https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=Emacs.ad&mode=exactfilename&suite=stable&arch=any

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB