Re: Emacs and loss of highlighting: problem semi-solved (Buster MATE)

* On 2020 27 Jan 10:11 -0600, Curt wrote:
> I missed that point, yet I'm still left to wonder whether the mate
> settings daemon xrdb plugins referenced above (if it is indeed running
> on the OP's machine as part of the Mate kitchen sink) might be
> responsible for the rather copious Emacs 'xdrb -query' output he offered
> up for inspection.
>
> Looking at this
>
> https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-settings-daemon/blob/master/plugins/xrdb/data/Emacs.ad
>
> there does appear to be similarities. Maybe I'm not understanding the
> whole thing correctly.

Good sleuth work, Curt.  It looks to me like this is part of a theme
plugin for Mate.  Beyond playing with it for a short time as to satisfy
a bit of curiosity, I've not used Mate any length of time.  Still, I find
it interesting that a Gtk based desktop is tweaking Xresources as that
was one of things that was seemingly declared "obsolete" about 20+ years
ago as the new "Linux desktops" began to develop.

Anyway, @ the OP, Tom.  I'd go through the Appearance/theme menus of
Mate and at least remove or disable this Emacs plugin if it can be found
through the GUI.

The other thought I had was to create a new user and see if the problem
followed along.  In this case it probably would.  Another option would
be to install Xfce and try it, but these thoughts were before I saw
Curt's message.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB