Re: Emacs and loss of highlighting: problem semi-solved (Buster MATE)

* On 2020 27 Jan 02:40 -0600, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 08:04:29PM -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
> > Emacs*Background:    #cecece
> > Emacs*Dialog*background:    #cecece
> > Emacs*Dialog*foreground:    #3c3c3c
> > Emacs*Foreground:    #3c3c3c
> > Emacs*XlwScrollBar.Background:    #cecece
> > Emacs*XlwScrollBar.Foreground:    #3c3c3c
> > Emacs*backgroundToolBarColor:    #cecece
> > Emacs*bottomToolBarShadowColor:    #cecece
> > Emacs*menubar*background:    #cecece
> > Emacs*menubar*foreground:    #3c3c3c
> > Emacs*popup*Background:    #cecece
> > Emacs*popup*Foreground:    #3c3c3c
> > Emacs*topToolBarShadowColor:    #cecece
> > Emacs.default.attributeBackground:    #cecece
> > Emacs.default.attributeForeground:    #3c3c3c
> > Emacs.mode-line.attributeForeground:    #3c3c3c
> > Emacs.scroll-bar.attributeBackground:    #cecece
> > Emacs.scroll-bar.attributeForeground:    #3c3c3c
> > Emacs.tool-bar.attributeBackground:    #cecece
> > Emacs.tool-bar.attributeForeground:    #3c3c3c
>
> OK. These are, I'd say, the first ones to concentrate on.
> Something in your system is setting that "on purpose", and
> you don't seem to like the results (note the prevalence of
> two colours: lightgray and darkgray -- kinda like a end-1990s
> Mac).
>
> Have you had a look in /etc/X11/Xresources?

There are also ~/.Xdefaults and possibly a system Xdefaults to be
considered, IIUC.  In the old days I used to have an ~/.app-defaults
directory which had copies of files from /etc/X11/app-defaults/ that I
customized and loaded from ~/.xinitrc (maybe, something else?).  It's
not a facility I use any more, just ~/.Xresources with customizations
for Xterm and URxvt.

OP, Tom, you might try:

grep -i "Emacs" /etc/X11/app-defaults/*

and see if anything comes up.  Nothing comes up on my system.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB