Re: Emacs and loss of highlighting: problem semi-solved (Buster MATE)

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 08:04:29PM -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 2:17 AM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 04:10:37PM -0600, Tom Browder wrote:

[...]

> > >   $ xrdb /dev/null
> >
> > Yikes. Like hitting your TV set with a wrench ;-)

[...]

> Maybe, but I felt like I had nothing to lose.

...and in the times of vacuum tubes it sometimes actually helped.
Cyclical thermal stress tended to develop cracks... but hey, I
disgress :-)

> > You can have a look into the content of your X resource database with
> >   xrdb -query
>
> Result:

[...]
> Emacs*Background:    #cecece
> Emacs*Dialog*background:    #cecece
> Emacs*Dialog*foreground:    #3c3c3c
> Emacs*Foreground:    #3c3c3c
> Emacs*XlwScrollBar.Background:    #cecece
> Emacs*XlwScrollBar.Foreground:    #3c3c3c
> Emacs*backgroundToolBarColor:    #cecece
> Emacs*bottomToolBarShadowColor:    #cecece
> Emacs*menubar*background:    #cecece
> Emacs*menubar*foreground:    #3c3c3c
> Emacs*popup*Background:    #cecece
> Emacs*popup*Foreground:    #3c3c3c
> Emacs*topToolBarShadowColor:    #cecece
> Emacs.default.attributeBackground:    #cecece
> Emacs.default.attributeForeground:    #3c3c3c
> Emacs.mode-line.attributeForeground:    #3c3c3c
> Emacs.scroll-bar.attributeBackground:    #cecece
> Emacs.scroll-bar.attributeForeground:    #3c3c3c
> Emacs.tool-bar.attributeBackground:    #cecece
> Emacs.tool-bar.attributeForeground:    #3c3c3c

OK. These are, I'd say, the first ones to concentrate on.
Something in your system is setting that "on purpose", and
you don't seem to like the results (note the prevalence of
two colours: lightgray and darkgray -- kinda like a end-1990s
Mac).

Have you had a look in /etc/X11/Xresources?

Cheers
-- tomás