Re: Emacs and loss of highlighting: problem semi-solved (Buster MATE)

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 04:10:37PM -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
> I have a new laptop running Buster (with the MATE desktop) and noticed my
> Emacs highlighted text was not showing any differently than non-highlighted
> text. After some conversation on the #emacs IRC channel, it was suggested I
> run this in a terminal window and restart Emacs:
>
>   $ xrdb /dev/null

Yikes. Like hitting your TV set with a wrench ;-)

> Lo and behold Emacs highlighting worked again!

I'm not very much into how MATE manages your resources [1], but it
sems that some resources for your Emacs are broken.

Typically, at start, resources come from ~/.Xresources or ~/.Xdefaults
(you stated that the first one in your case was empty). For system-wide
resources, there are usually files under /etc/X11/Xresources, typically
one file per application.

You can have a look into the content of your X resource database with

  xrdb -query

(of course before whacking the database with /dev/null ;-)

Perhaps you can recognize the problematic entries and find out whence
they are set.

Cheers

[1] I'm under the impression that "modern" desktop environments
   hate X, but I might be wrong.

-- tomás