Re: Changing nameservers - WAS "Which resolv.conf file?"

Le 31/07/2019 à 21:44, ghe a écrit :
On 7/31/19 1:20 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:

I still feel like you're missing the big picture here.  resolvconf isn't
the thing that's modifying your /etc/resolv.conf file.

It's the thing (that was) modifying my resolv.conf.

Resolvconf does not modify resolv.conf on its own. Some other program requested it to do so instead of overwriting resolv.conf itself.

The WiFi server (DHCP) was always changing my DNS server to something I
didn't want -- when I'd cat resolv.conf, there was always a line at the
top saying the file had been created by resolvconf.

Without resolvconf, the DHCP client would have completely overwritten resolv.conf instead of just adding one line. With resolvconf, at least you can have some control over resolv.conf.