Changing nameservers - WAS "Which resolv.conf file?"

I've begun a new thread to add some back-story to my "Which resolv.conf file?" inquiry. *Thanks* to all who have chimed in.

nb. Judah: If "DE" means "desktop environment" then I don't think I have one. I run the minimalist icewm, and I do not have network manager installed.

I do not want to turn off all rewriting of my resolv.conf file since my vpn needs to do that. And, I have no concept about how dhcp now might enter into the picture. I am an older citizen and have not kept up.

I posted this to my initial thread on this topic:

--snip--
$ cat /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by r$ # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWR$
nameserver aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 127.0.0.53
--snip--

This is how this file looks when I am connected to my vpn, hence the obfuscation.

What I want to do is get rid of the google 8.8.8.8 and replace it with a static nameserver suggested by my vpn.

I welcome all of your feedback (well, within certain bounds of course. <g>).

Thank you

--
Poobah