Re: Changing nameservers - WAS "Which resolv.conf file?"

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 12:44:50PM -0600, ghe wrote:
> On 7/31/19 12:17 PM, Bob Bernstein wrote:
>
> > Sure enough, there it was, for eth0. I commented it out and added a line
> > for the nameserver I wanted, and bingo, we have lift off.
>
> That works, but if you want to specify the DNS server, delete those 2
> DNS lines in /etc...interfaces, and edit /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> And rm -rf /etc/resolvconf. How often do you want to change your DNS
> server? And when you do, edit /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> There are those of us who hate 'helpful' software...

https://wiki.debian.org/resolv.conf

Just editing /etc/resolv.conf is NOT enough, because other things will
change it BEHIND YOUR BACK.

https://wiki.debian.org/resolv.conf

resolvconf is actually one of the things that you can use to STOP OTHER
THINGS from changing it.  Removing /etc/resolvconf sounds like terrible
advice.  Why would you remove the configuration of a package but leave
the package installed?  Are you just going to hope it does something
good without any guidance?  If you want to remove resolvconf, remove the
package with dpkg or apt.  Don't just start removing random configuration
files and directories.

https://wiki.debian.org/resolv.conf