Re: Changing nameservers - WAS "Which resolv.conf file?"

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 01:13:27PM -0600, ghe wrote:
> On 7/31/19 12:52 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
> > Removing /etc/resolvconf sounds like terrible> advice.  <snip>
> > If you want to remove resolvconf, remove the> package with dpkg or apt.  Don't just start removing random
> configuration> files and directories
> Good point, well taken.
>
> I've always just deleted the /etc dir, and it's always killed
> resolvconf. dpkg/apt is a much better idea -- more thorough deletion...
>
> But then go remove that config stuff in /etc. If it's still there.

I still feel like you're missing the big picture here.  resolvconf isn't
the thing that's modifying your /etc/resolv.conf file.  resolvconf is
a mitigating layer that's trying to take control over the *other*
entities which are trying to edit the file.

If you remove resolvconf from the picture, then isc-dhcp-client and
other actors are going to go back to directly editing the file as they
see fit, undoing each other's work, etc.  If isc-dhcp-client is the
only such actor in play, and if you *want* it to edit your file, then
that may be perfectly fine.  resolvconf is there to handle all the
other cases.  Well, most of them.  The ones that it knows about and
knows how to subvert, anyway.