Re: A call to drop gnome as the default desktop

On 17/4/19 3:53 am, Matthew Crews wrote:
As long as the Debian installer gives us a choice (and
as long as a variety of Live images for each major DE are available), it
doesn't really matter in the end.

I do not think that Gnome should be removed from Debian as long as Gnome
works fine. As far as I'm concerned, it does work fine. Perfect? No, but
good enough IMO.

On this mailing list, though, I could see a progression from "why is
synaptic removed from Debian Buster?" to "Lets remove Gnome", hence why
I brought it up.

I'll address these in reverse order, hoping to make the responses make some sense.

Let me say only that I used a couple of snips from the synaptic discussion as support for my own thoughts about gnome not being free software - in the sense that they seem to want to control how we use our monitors.

I see the point that people who like gnome should be allowed to use it - so withdraw the drop gnome from debian. I believe the change to the subject line will keep the discussion together. I'll re-send if it opens a new topic.

Perhaps gnome can be available as a live distro and in the repo - without being an option on the netInstall.iso I accept that gnome is popular, and figured that by seeking to drop it, I am trying to remove their freedom to use it.

--
Keith Bainbridge

ke1th3216@gmail.com
+61 (0)447 667 468