Re: A call to drop gnome

On 4/16/19 10:36 AM, Reco wrote:
>> The major DEs are all pushing for the move to Wayland,
>
> All two of them, I assume?

Call me lazy, but I'm not going to cite every article under the Sun
explaining why we *should* be moving to Wayland over X. Here are a few
starting points.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_%28display_server_protocol%29
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/

In the end it comes down to Wayland will be the future way of doing
things, and there are headaches along the way.

I will concede that as long as Nvidia drivers do not play nicely with
Wayland (and they don't AFAIK), X will still be required. But I did just
read that Plasma 5.16 landed Nvidia patches that let it work under
Wayland with Nvidia, so maybe not that much longer in the future?

(and unfortunately, people will still buy and use Nvidia cards, and want
support for them whether or not the drivers are FOSS).

>> Some major ones even USE Wayland by default where possible.
>
> [Scratches head] SUSE? Surely that's what you meant?

Off the top of my head, Fedora, SUSE and Ubuntu (as of 18.10) use
Wayland by default.

>> This all stems back to Synaptic being removed from Debian Buster right?
>
> In this particular thread we discuss a wish of a Debian User, who in no
> uncertain terms expressed that GNOME should be dropped from the Debian.
> I mean, look at the Subject.

Fair enough. I personally think KDE or even XFCE should be the default
DE for Debian, but thats just my opinion and the the topic of endless
debate. We will be in circles debating what we think the default DE for
Debian should be. As long as the Debian installer gives us a choice (and
as long as a variety of Live images for each major DE are available), it
doesn't really matter in the end.

I do not think that Gnome should be removed from Debian as long as Gnome
works fine. As far as I'm concerned, it does work fine. Perfect? No, but
good enough IMO.

On this mailing list, though, I could see a progression from "why is
synaptic removed from Debian Buster?" to "Lets remove Gnome", hence why
I brought it up.

> Nope, looks alive to me.

Noted, thanks for the correction.