Re: Error while upgrading from Wheezy to Stretch

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 11:45:11AM -0400, David Parker wrote:
>    I'm not positive what happened with it, but I wonder if the fact
>    that the pacemaker package was missing entirely from the new release
>    caused apt to just get rid of it during the upgrade.

Neither of the package front-ends that I have used (apt-get and
aptitude) do what you describe. In fact, on every system I have upgraded
I end up with a section called 'Obsolete and Locally Created Packages'
visible in aptitude. In the case of an upgrade, that section has
packages that are installed on the system but which no longer have an
available candidate from any of the available sources. Removal of a
package as part of a dist-upgrade only happens if its dependencies can
no longer be met.

Regards,

-Roberto

--