Re: Error while upgrading from Wheezy to Stretch

Hi all,

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner, had some crazy life stuff getting in the way.

I should have said in my original post that there is a reason I'm trying to jump from Wheezy to Stretch.  These boxes are in an HA cluster with Pacemaker, Corosync, and DRBD.  I have all 3 of these installed from the Debian packages.  Pacemaker is not in Jessie (apparently the devs missed the deadline for inclusion), so an upgrade to Jessie uninstalls pacemaker and all of its configuration.  That's what I was hoping to avoid, because setting up an configuring Pacemaker always takes me a while to get right, so an upgrade path which does not include the removal of it is preferable.

I did read the documentation and I did try Wheezy -> Jessie - > Stretch first, but the problem was that Pacemaker was removed.  Hence, I was hoping to skip Jessie.

If it's simply not possible to do this upgrade then I guess that's that.  I'll have to reinstall and reconfigure Pacemaker, which hopefully will continue to be delivered in future releases without fail.

Thanks,
Dave

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 2:35 PM, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
On Thu 12 Apr 2018 at 06:42:33 (-0400), Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 07:57:07PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > On Wed 11 Apr 2018 at 15:31:32 (-0400), David Parker wrote:
> > > I am trying to upgrade two test boxes from Wheezy to Stretch (skipping
> > > Jessie).  The upgrade worked on one of them, although I ran into errors and
> > > had to run "apt-get -f install" a few times, but that resolved the issues
> > > and it ultimately worked.
> > >
> > > However, on the second box, I ran into an error about halfway through the
> > > upgrade, and I'm not able to get past it.  No matter what I do, I keep
> > > running into version mismatch issue with libpam-modules.  It's preventing
> > > the upgrade from finishing.
> >
> > The other "incantation" that's worth trying is
> >
> > # dpkg --configure -a

That's the short answer.

> I would start by reinstating jessie in all of your sources
> files, then try dpkg --configure -a, then apt-get -f install,
> then apt-get dist-upgrade to jessie. After a successful jessie
> reboot, upgrade to stretch.

dpkg --configure -a   and   apt-get -f install   can be useful
to fix a logjam, but when you get an error like
it's worth running dpkg directly, seeing which packages are stuck,
and then try   dpkg -i <all the affected package .deb filenames>
as this can sometimes fix circular and reciprocal dependencies
that running from apt* is unable to solve.

BTW if they're test boxes, keep on trying: you may learn something
useful about rescuing systems, which the reinstall people won't.

Cheers,
David.

--
Dave Parker '11