Re: Error while upgrading from Wheezy to Stretch

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 10:57:09AM -0400, David Parker wrote:

>    I did read the documentation and I did try Wheezy -> Jessie - > Stretch
>    first, but the problem was that Pacemaker was removed.  Hence, I was
>    hoping to skip Jessie.
>    If it's simply not possible to do this upgrade then I guess that's that.
>    I'll have to reinstall and reconfigure Pacemaker, which hopefully will
>    continue to be delivered in future releases without fail.

It is likely that you would have received different, and perhaps more
constructive responses, had you included this detail in the initial
description. However, that is in the past.

That said, it should be possible to upgrade without pacemaker and other
packages which are important to you being removed. The only thing that
would *force* the removal would be if one the dependencies was no longer
satisified. None of the first-order dependencies of any of the pacemaker
packages have versions specified with < (i.e., a maximum version on the
dependency), so in general I would say that what you are describing is
unexpected. Of course, there are lots of dependencies and those
dependencies all have dependencies of their own. It is certainly
possible that somewhere further on down the chain a dependency is
getting marked for removal it is filtering up and causing the removal of
pacemaker.

So, some strategies that might enable you to get a wheezy -> jessie ->
stretch upgrade to work include:

 - remove pacemaker first (note: 'remove' and 'purge' have different
   meanings when it comes to apt, with 'remove' removing a package's
   executables and other static resources but preserving configurations
   and user-generated content, while 'purge' will also remove
   configuration files and user-generated content), proceed with
   upgrades, and re-install after the upgrades are complete
 - start the upgrade to jessie and get far enough along to identify the
   culprit(s) of the removal, then manually remove those with 'dpkg'
   using the '--no-force-depends' option; that will allow pacemaker to
   remain installed, though in a broken state, while the offending
   dependencies are removed, after which you can proceed with the
   upgrade and when you get to the jessie -> stretch step the new
   pacemaker should get pulled in and the new dependencies with it
   (note: this approach may require a fair amount of manual intervention
   at each step of the upgrade process)
 - backup your pacemaker configurations and user-generated files, let
   the upgrade process remove the packages, then restore everything
   after the upgrade is complete

Regards,

-Roberto

--