Re: non-free firmware not found despite unofficial CD

Emanuel Berg composed on 2017-10-13 22:56 (UTC+0200):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> What I would do is remove the HD currently
>> installed, temporarily install some other HD,
>> install Windows on that, install the BIOS
>> update, then reinstall the original HD that
>> has Debian already installed.

> Why not install XP, apply the upgrade, and
> install Debian? Isn't that less work than the
> separate HD idea?
To me it's less work to not have an unsupported and unused operating system
wasting space otherwise available for FOSS. Windows is required exclusively for
getting that BIOS update installed.

Once a BIOS is upgraded, it stays upgraded. I generally use the very same old
40GB SATA HD for most BIOS updates, by copying downloaded update installer and
image files to its bootable DOS partition, and booting DOS to install the update.

>> Knowing how HP can make using FOSS software
>> so difficult, I probably never would have
>> bought an HP in the first place, unless
>> pre-owned, for an extremely low price, or for
>> free. The only HP I own was free.

> I got the laptop from a friend who wanted Linux
> on it.

Sometimes free isn't really.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/