Re: Live recording

David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:

> On Mon 07 Aug 2017 at 19:56:34 (+0200), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> Jeremy Nicoll <jn.ml.dbn.25@letterboxes.org> writes:

>> > If you can capture multiple channels' audio and have them in separate
>> > files on your computer then you can mix them using sox.  You don't have to
>> > have a physical mixer.
>>

>> Yes, but I was referring to the time delay problem that has been arised by
>> some
>> listers...
>
> That was me, and we had moved on to multiple PCs, whereas now we're
> back to talking about one PC with multiple channels.
>
> Back to two PCs, it did occur to me that if you mix your L/R from the
> piano onto one channel of the final mix and use the singer's mic in
> the other, you might get fewer artificial effects, particularly with
> speakers because the room contributes plenty of muddling.

Well, no, I tought of: left channel on piano bass, right channel onto piano
high notes and voice, say, somewhere in the middle...

> Way back in 1958, the BBC tried experimenting with stereo broadcasts
> on Saturday mornings using TV for one channel and the Third Programme
> (radio) for the other. Naturally there was a lot of strolling around
> the studio at their end and fighting over the hot seat at our end. But
> without any other experience of stereo sound (in the true "solid"
> sense of the word), it's difficult for me to recall how well the
> effect was transferred to our living room. Nor do I know how similar
> the signal processing timing was between a cheap, inherited, Band I TV
> and a state of the art Leak Trough-Line Band II tuner. With TV chassis
> floating at mains potential, there was not much thought of mixing the
> channels or tape recording them.

Fascinating...!  But now I got very interested in the multi channel audio
interface you suggest...  Before looking for one to buy, I'd like to better
know and understand how it works...  For example in the case of piano (two mono
mics) and voice (1 mic, say mono as well)...

Cheers,
Rodolfo