Re: Live recording

On Sun 06 Aug 2017 at 18:18:46 (+0200), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz> writes:
>
> > On 05/08/17 03:56, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> >> Thanks to all.  The problem seems to be solved with such a cable:
> >>
> >>  https://www.thomann.de/at/pro_snake_78219_yadapterkabel.htm
> >
> > Except that it's hard to tell what size those connectors are. Unless
> > there's something in the description that I can't read that says they're
> > 3.5mm, they look to me more like 6.25mm. I'm not sure what it is - I
> > think 3.5mm plugs are usually more rounded on the end, while the larger
> > ones often have that point. Also, it looks like the case comes apart,
> > and I think the only ones I've seen with such skinny bodies are moulded
> > plastic. If that's 3.5mm, I think it would be very hard to assemble by
> > hand, which the body designs suggest.
>

> The cable that made me possible to live record stereo from two mics, without
> mixer nor preamp nor external audio card nor audio interface, is a 3.5mm
> twin-mono-female and a 3.5mm single-stereo-male: the two mics plugged into the
> two mono females and the stereo male plugged into the `mic' input of my PC.
> This cable was solded for me by the owner of the electricity shop near my
> house.

Glad you got one. (My Y cables are for sharing a single stereo output
into two people's headsets.) The soldering solution I proposed earlier
was specifically to avoid having to deal with soldering tiny wires into
tiny plugs, practical in the past but no fun nowadays.

> To add a third microphone for human voice (the former two are for piano), I
> plan to use a second PC as suggested by Fungi4All.  This way I'll continue to
> do without mixer or audio interface, till the moment I'll want to do things
> more professionally.  Now, they're just home made records...

Oh my, thoughts of Itchycoo Park come to mind. (Just showing my age.)
I don't think you'll enjoy listening to the results..

Cheers,
David.