Re: Live recording

On Sun 06 Aug 2017 at 20:21:49 (+0200), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:
> > On Sun 06 Aug 2017 at 18:18:46 (+0200), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> >> The cable that made me possible to live record stereo from two mics, without
> >> mixer nor preamp nor external audio card nor audio interface, is a 3.5mm
> >> twin-mono-female and a 3.5mm single-stereo-male: the two mics plugged into
> >> the two mono females and the stereo male plugged into the `mic' input of my
> >> PC.  This cable was solded for me by the owner of the electricity shop near
> >> my house.
> >
> > Glad you got one. (My Y cables are for sharing a single stereo output
> > into two people's headsets.) The soldering solution I proposed earlier
> > was specifically to avoid having to deal with soldering tiny wires into
> > tiny plugs, practical in the past but no fun nowadays.
> >
> >> To add a third microphone for human voice (the former two are for piano), I
> >> plan to use a second PC as suggested by Fungi4All.  This way I'll continue
> >> to do without mixer or audio interface, till the moment I'll want to do
> >> things more professionally.  Now, they're just home made records...
> >
> > Oh my, thoughts of Itchycoo Park come to mind. (Just showing my age.)
> > I don't think you'll enjoy listening to the results..
>

> Why do you think so?  Just recording with two mics in the Y cable you spoke
> about produced a not bad result...

I'm assuming that your vocalist is being accompanied live (otherwise
the problem disappears by using a second pass) and is being
accompanied by said piano. So both PCs' recordings will have piano on
them. How do you mix than so that the phase of the piano signals is
preserved? It's not clear to me (but might be worth an experiment)
that you could avoid phasing effects or localisation (precedence effect)
instability. However, if it works, so be it. Give it a try. Perhaps
you can synchronise the recordings by minimising these very effects.

Cheers,
David.