[solved] Re: Live recording

Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> writes:

> You can't get something for nothing. If you want stereo, you will have to
> have two mics or a mic with two separate microphone elements aimed in two
> (left and right) directions. Such a device will have a plug with three
> connections on it: left, right, and ground. Your PC will not be able to
> handle such a microphone! You would need a stereo preamplifier to plug that
> mic into, and then you would plug the stereo output of the preamp into the
> LINE IN jack of the PC.
>
> I would hope that this information will settle the question!

Thanks to all.  The problem seems to be solved with such a cable:

 https://www.thomann.de/at/pro_snake_78219_yadapterkabel.htm

as suggested by deloptes and other listers.  The cable consists in two female
3.5mm terminations, each of them mono, and a male 3.5mm stereo.  One mic at one
female end, the other one at the other female end, and the male end plugged
into the microphone input of my netbook.  All this seems to produce a perfect
stereo effect: the two channels sound to be very well separated.

I'll be using the above simple connection system to live piano recording: mic 1
on the basses (left), mic 2 on the high (right).

My next step is trying to add human voice, say in the middle.  I'll see if this
is possible by slightly complicating the above solution, without preamp or
mixer or multi-channel audio interface.  I'll be posting here if the attempt
succeeds.

Thanks again,

Rodolfo
<