Re: Poor X performance with Intel 8086:22b1 (Braswell)

On Wed, 2017-05-31 at 19:50 +0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2017-05-31, Anil Duggirala <anilduggirala@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > I was just wondering if you could confirm that I am now using the
> > intel
> > driver, I dont know how to check this in my Xorg log. I am still
> > having
>
> This used to grep accurately for the pertinent info (if things
> haven't
> changed--I'm still on Wheezy (asthmatic cough)):
>
>  grep -B4 'Module class: X.Org Video Driver' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> (adjust path to log to wherever your log is living if it is living
> elsewhere though I doubt it).

Thanks guys, the output of grep -B4 'Module class: X.Org Video Driver'
~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log is
[    58.352] (II) LoadModule: "intel"
[    58.353] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
[    58.380] (II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    58.380] 	compiled for 1.19.0, module version = 2.99.917
[    58.380] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver

So that makes it clear, the intel driver is bein used, is there
anything else I can do to improve my graphics. Is it possible that
installing Mate caused trouble of some sort. I tell you the truth, my
solution to many problems has been to simply reinstall the system. I
believe my system is not correctly configured in some way, for example,
composing this email in Evolution in the little composer window, if I
want to delete several words of text and press and hold my backspace
key, it goes back at a certain speed, so I have to wait to see how back
I will be taken with the time I have held pressed the backspace key.
Performance is just not good in general, and I believe this laptop
should certainly be able to handle Gnome, and guessing I would have
issues with any other DE.
I appreciate any help. For now, my plan, when I have time, is to
reinstall Debian Stretch, dont touch anything and configure to load
intel driver, and hope that any issues have been resolved.
thanks,