Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

On 05/26/2017 09:38 AM, Anil Duggirala wrote:

> On Wed, May 24, 2017, at 11:11 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
>> Please don't top post. You don't see anyone else doing that do you??
>> Take a clue. Ric
>
> Sorry for top-posting, I have taken a clue now.
> I deactivated Animations in Gnome (Tweak Tool - Appearance), this
> appears to have helped, dragging windows around is not so laggy and
> video playback does not appear to be crashing, and is running more
> smoothly, however the video playback is not really smooth.
>
>> Anil's log from about 3+ hours ago shows he's using the modeset(0) Xorg driver
>> still.
> What does this mean?? Is there any other driver for me to try??
>
> Please help me, do I really have the right driver and firmware for my
> graphics card already?? Looking at package linux-image-amd64 in Synaptic
> shows 2 versions 4.9+79 (now), 4.9+80 (testing), this upgrade has been
> suggested by the automatic update app in Gnome. What does (now) and
> (testing) mean in Synaptic there. I have left my sources.list as is
> after install, "stretch" is the keyword, will my pc stay on stretch once
> it is released or continue upgrading to "testing"??

Now means that 4.9+79 is what is now installed on your system.  4.9+80
is available from the testing distribution, so that would mean that you
have the testing distribution mentioned in your sources.list file in
/etc/apt.  This is not the problem, and given the totality of the
situation, I would not upgrade to the newer kernel.  This is probably
safe, but it is possible that it could introduce additional issues.  At
least until you get the current problem resolved, IMHO (In My Humble
Opinion) you should make the fewest changes possible to the system,
changing only those things needed to move closer to a resolution to the
current problem, which we are trying to figure out.  I understand your
frustration, be patient, the guys (and gals) here are good.  It may take
a little time to figure out exactly what needs to be done
(troubleshooting by remote control is difficult at best), but it will
get figured out.  The situation is really over my head at this point,
however, someone mentioned checking if the package
xserver-xorg-video-intel was installed on your system.  This package
should be installed if it is not.

Thanks for your patience.  I rarely have a real problem with my Debian
distributions, but have always found good help here. :)

--
73's,
WB5VQX -- The Very Quick X-ray