Re: Poor X performance with Intel 8086:22b1 (Braswell)

On 05/26/2017 06:59 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> Michael Milliman composed on 2017-05-26 18:18 (UTC-0500):
>
>> ...someone mentioned checking if the package
>> xserver-xorg-video-intel was installed on your system.  This package
>> should be installed if it is not.
>
> He already reported in
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/05/msg00785.html
> that it is installed
>
> 	dpkg -l | grep intel:...
> 	ii  xserver-xorg-video-intel	2:2.99.917+git20161206-1
>
> However, in https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/05/msg00767.html he
> provided a pastebin (now expired) of Xorg.0.log that reported the modeset(0)
> driver in use.
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/05/msg00781.html explained how he
> could try configuring use of the Intel driver. Subsequently OP reported Gnome to
> be working, but also that unsatisfactory AV playback in Totem remains, even in
> Mate, plus he sees poor scrolling behavior in LibreOffice.
Thanks, Felix.  I hadn't checked the posts in the pastebin.  As I
stated, the problem is a little over my head at this point, so I'm not
sure what the modeset(0) driver being in use actually means, as the OP
also indicated.  At this point, he, and I for that matter, doesn't know
even whether that is correct, and if not what the alternative is or how
to configure for that alternative.

He (the OP) also reports a problem with the mate desktop background.
But this is a separate issue with mate desktop (which is a fork of the
Gnome2 [now defunct] desktop), which currently has a bug reported.

--
73's,
WB5VQX -- The Very Quick X-ray