Re: Poor X performance with Intel 8086:22b1 (Braswell)

Michael Milliman composed on 2017-05-26 20:23 (UTC-0500):

> ...Does this cp command overwrite an existing
> xorg.conf.  AIR, the xorg.conf is no longer required (of course I've
> slept several times since I think I saw that :) ).
xorg.conf is an optional file that is unnecessary and not present for the vast
majority of users for all generations of Xorg going back too far to remember,
probably getting close to 10 years, maybe longer. The primary and large
exception is users of proprietary NVidia driver users.

> If it is overwriting,
> perhaps it would be a good idea if the OP preserved the existing
> xorg.conf in case the new one borks the system worse (always possible
> when messing with the drivers).

I don't know of any reason why a fresh Stretch installation to Intel gfx would
have xorg.conf. He wouldn't be overwriting an existing unless he created it himself.

> Well, as I wrote this, I took a look, and on my system (Stretch, with an
> amd processor and Radeon graphics) the etc/X11/xord.conf.d/ directory
> does not even exist.

Both xorg.conf and xorg.conf.d/ are optional. Most distros either create an
empty xorg.conf.d/, or populate one with a small number of tweaks specific to
various combinations of hardware and/or software. A common one contains
exclusively keyboard configuration. Mine enables Ctrl-Alt-BS, which IIRC is
disabled by default in upstream Xorg.

xorg.conf is a comprehensive file. xorg.conf.d/ is designed for presence of
multiple files, each optional, each designed to address specific components.
IIRC, presence in xorg.conf.d/ inconsistent with anything in xorg.conf if it
exists overrides it.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/