Re: Finding firmware (and SHA sums etc), was Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

On Thu 16 Mar 2017 at 20:08:16 (+0000), Brian wrote:
> On Thu 16 Mar 2017 at 12:04:14 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> > > :-)

> > > I think you're being a bit unfair here. Brian has surely done a bit
> > > beyond saying "read the manual". He has provided leads to the relevant
> > > spots in there.
> >
> > He showed a much better path to the important web page
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/
> > He hasn't disagreed with my analysis of why people can get
> > stuck on another pathway to the ISO files on that page,
> > particularly the people desiring a network installation.
>
> There was never had any reason to disagree with the analysis. The
> queries starting this subthread
>
>  > Is it just me, or are the "unofficial" images hard to get to?
>
> have the answers "no" and "yes". However, the routes to the images are
> varied and guessing which one a user takes to get there isn't fruitful.

The routes exist and don't need to be guessed. The reason that a
particular group of users follows a route is what has to be guessed.
For every selection made/link clicked etc, the user had an intention.
That intention has to be guessed by the web designer/programmer etc.
Few designers actually experience a stream of tyros sitting down to
use their design, and give them reasons.

Similarly, documentation authors must have in-depth knowledge of
their subject, but also have the ability to read the mind of the
ignorant reader.

> > But the Installation Manual comment, particularly the rhetorical
> > question, was a cheap shot IMO. Navigating these pages should be
> > straightforward. Any indication that the Installation Manual
> > is going to help that navigation, or should help, is laughable
> > and contradicts the very raison d'être of the web.
>
> Note that the OP knew he might require firmware for his install. The
> Manual doesn't remove the need for web page navigation to be improved
> but it does give a destination for firmware images, so any port in a
> storm etc. I'd use the text version for searching.

Interesting; that might make the headings less influential when
reading it.

> Fortunately, the OP was helpfully directed to the correct netinst ISO.
> Unfortunately, it is quite possible it does not contain the firmware for
> what looks like the Atheros-based chipset he has. Off to backports and
> firmware-atheros, then. I'd link to pages on the wiki but documentation
> does not appear to be in good standing at the moment and we are told
> it is not the purpose of this list to answer practical problems by
> by guiding people to it. :)

Cheers,
David.