Re: Finding firmware (and SHA sums etc), was Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

Brian:

> Documentation dispels ignorance. Dispelling ignorance requires the
> co-operation of the user.

To a well educated ms-windows or apfel-widows to try out and see whether
they can live with debian, do you propose a couple of years of studying
before they even try a live version?  When one 1st timer tries to
install the system and gets to the linux swap partition question, should
they have printed 500 pages, have a second computer with the manuals
downloaded, or should they send a mail to the list?

It is a users list, not a developers list, not a well versed sys.admin
list, but users.  Do people who use computers for more than 10 years
understand in depth what non-free means, even if they read it in the
manual?  Would they imagine that for 90% of the aftermarket usb wifi
systems there is no free support?

With one it took me 3-4 days to get it to work on a stable debian.
Then I plugged in a tails-stick and it picked it up right away.  Is
every answer possible answered in those manuals?

Have you read the whole Gimp manual before you used it?
Every package in this system has 20 pages of code and 200 pages of
documentation that sometimes does not make much sense to a
debian-freshman,  In other words the majority of debian documentation
explain things with debian specific terminology.

To recapitulate, the purpose of the list as I understand it is not to
answer practical problems with "read the manual".  It defeats the purpose.

kAt

--
 "The most violent element in society is ignorance" rEG