Re: Finding firmware (and SHA sums etc), was Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

On Thu 16 Mar 2017 at 03:19:00 +0000, GiaThnYgeia wrote:

> Brian:
> > It is also just as easy to find
> >  https://www.debian.org/CD/
> > and then
> >  https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/
> > which leads to
> >  http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/
>
> But he already mentioned this link

Well-spotted.

> > without any right clicking or rubbing out.
> > What rules are these?
> > It is shown above that it is not difficult to find.
> > The netinst ISO is hardly huge.
>
> Do you have anything to offer to the discussion or is it just bitter
> criticism to others' questions?

The jury is still out on that.

> And what are you so defensive about, criticism of poorly organized
> information and poorly documented software?  The chaotic nature of these
> systems comes from the chaotic system of development.  Most of the tiny
> parts that make the whole thing work are developed by programmers whose
> expertise on the tiny details prevent them from being able to
> communicate the importance to the rest of the users (some are other
> developers).  Are there segments of this chaotic hierarchy that
> outsiders can understand?  Under each piece of code sits a tremendous
> hierarchy and the next block up makes this hierarchy look minute.

To offer a different view is to be "defensive" and "bitter"?

> If you can offer a hint in solving someone's problem because you know
> better fine.  To criticism someone because they haven't read 2000
> zillion pages of debian manuals to know what you do is ludicrous.

David Wright correctly points out that the availability of unofficial
images is not prominently signposted from the Debian home page. Indeed,
a user who obtained the debian-8.7.1-amd64-i386-netinst.iso from the
link in the upper right-hand corner of the page and installed it without
doing anything else would, quite possibly, run into the firmware
problem.

The Installation Manual is featured on the home page. I wonder why?

> --
>  "The most violent element in society is ignorance" rEG

Documentation dispels ignorance. Dispelling ignorance requires the
co-operation of the user.