Re: Suggested edit

On Friday 17 March 2017 15:18:57 Catherine Gramze wrote:
> > On Mar 17, 2017, at 10:28 AM, Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > That would presume that the majority of users of the installer wanted to
> > install a desktop environment. This is not necessarily true even for
> > beginners, on say, server machines.
>
> Beginners are installing server systems as their first experience with
> Linux? I think not. Most people don't ever touch a server in their entire
> life. The closest they get to a server is a thin client. Any sane server
> administrator is going to set up a test system first, and probably on a
> desktop so they can easily mess around with it while they learn about the
> tools it offers.

In general, Debian is not recommended for total newbies who are unassisted for
precisely this sort of reason.

There are plenty of dumbed down Debian derivatives for those that want them.
Please don't let's dumb Debian down any further.  Base install means base
install.  The net install disk by default installs Gnome (I have on occasion
gone to sleep and failed to prevent it).  Some WANT a base install and should
be able to have it easily.  You are describing Ubuntu or Mint. Ubuntu and
Mint exist.

The mentioned problem in finding things definitely exists, especially when it
comes to check sums, especially for those of us who are partially sighted.
The developers, bless them, are aware and are working on it.  That is great,
and good enough for me.

But if you want a dumbed down newbie distro, use a dumbed down newbie distro.
If Debian is too Geekish, leave it to the Geeks.

Meanwhile, Brian, not all of us are blessed with 35 year old brains and 20/20
vision.

Lisi