Re: Finding firmware (and SHA sums etc), was Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

On Fri 17 Mar 2017 at 10:46:57 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Thu 16 Mar 2017 at 20:08:16 (+0000), Brian wrote:
> >
> > There was never had any reason to disagree with the analysis. The
> > queries starting this subthread
> >
> >  > Is it just me, or are the "unofficial" images hard to get to?
> >
> > have the answers "no" and "yes". However, the routes to the images are
> > varied and guessing which one a user takes to get there isn't fruitful.
>
> The routes exist and don't need to be guessed. The reason that a
> particular group of users follows a route is what has to be guessed.

Apropos nothing. Columbus knew exactly where he was going and why. He
just didn't get there. The exact route he took didn't exist (or maybe
philosohically it did but hadn't been travelled). But it was planned
using the Google documentation of the time. Perhaps prospective
Debian users could plan their journey into the unknown in the same way.

Point taken, though. Web page design requires the author to put herself
(or try to) in the position of a typical user.

A good place to mention the firmware netinst ISO would be the Debian
front page instead of 4 or more layers down. Depends on how much of a
problem it is seen to be. Don't hold your breath waiting for a change;
there are other factors.

> For every selection made/link clicked etc, the user had an intention.
> That intention has to be guessed by the web designer/programmer etc.
> Few designers actually experience a stream of tyros sitting down to
> use their design, and give them reasons.
>
> Similarly, documentation authors must have in-depth knowledge of
> their subject, but also have the ability to read the mind of the
> ignorant reader.

A decent technique which can be fruitful with documentation writing is
to read what you have written a year later. If you still understand it
and can easily follow any instructions it could stand the test of time.

--
Brian.